Thursday 28 April 2016

Player 2 Has Entered The Game

No. No, no, no. How is this real?

But, firstly congratulations to Andrew Michael Hurley, author of The Loney, his début novel. I picked it up this week in Waterstones, seeing it had won the Costa Book Prize for Best Novel and had even been endorsed by Stephen King. 


Stephen KING. My mind buckles to see it.

And I am enjoying this new-to-me horror writer. Creepy in an old-fashioned, curiously British sense, and writhing in unspoken terrors. 

However.

I re-opened it today and saw Hurley's bio. A little further Googling has yielded more facts. Andrew Michael Hurley is living my dream. Quite literally. His bio is very similar to mine and the same genre as I would like to be and the talented bastard got there first.

"Andrew Michael Hurley has lived in Manchester and London..."
(I lived in Manchester for twelve years. Before then, I lived on the outskirts of North London.)

"...and is now based in Lancashire..."
(I now live in Lancashire.)

"...he has an MA in Creative Writing from Manchester Metropolitan University..."
(me too.)

"...he has been published in the Manchester Writing School's own journal of creative work, Muse..."
(me too.)

"...he was born in 1975."
(YES!!!! He's exactly a decade older!!)

Please excuse my moderate hysteria. For an odd moment in Waterstones I thought I'd been the victim of identify theft. Luckily, I'm just the hostage of procrastination.

The gauntlet has been thrown down. Hurley, I'm coming for you. Challenge accepted!

No comments:

Post a Comment