Sunday 5 July 2015

The Rejection Reaction

It's that time of year when the rejection slips have started hitting my inbox. I am unsurprised, mostly because I see that my last attempt was very much me trying to cram all my ideas and interests into a Word document and pass it off as a novel. My brain has its deep-rooted interests and I find it hard to commit to one thing. I want a a bulging word count of all things that fascinate me. 

This creates a book that is just too...weird to guarantee enough people will buy it, read it, recommend it. Or weird, but also too scattered. I take it on the chin. I learn that once you put out something to be read by a professional, it turns on a light for you and you see its lack of marketability. I learn.

And then I start another. I have a compulsive need to write. I have stories that I am tinkering with already earmarked as to which publication I'll send them to. I have a 'great' idea for another book. A great big mess. But no matter. I enjoy doing it. I don't think, based on feedback, that the syntax is dreadful. More my plotting ability may be so. But I enjoy the fight to be 'a real writer'. 

The latest two rejection slips. Let's look at the encouragement/fuck-off, shall we?



"[...] is not quite the right fit"
=
"This is weird. This makes no sense. Why in God's name did you send this to us?!"

"We have to be highly selective"
=
"You are not in the top percentage of people who qualify as professional."



"We are replying as soon as possible to give you the best chance of finding the right agent."
=
"We don't know who in God's name will sign you, but it sure as hell won't be us."

"Another agent may well feel differently."
=
"Another agent would be a mug to think you have a shot."

Am I disheartened? Nah. I try to find humour in most things. If I can't laugh at my own failures, 'tis a sad existence I would be living. 

Let's keep those e-mails coming! 

No comments:

Post a Comment