Sunday 8 February 2015

It Doesn't Have To Be A Doorstop

For many years I have driven myself on to write big books. It seems only fair that if someone is going to pay £7.99 for it, they should be able to feel its weight.

However, during my learning in creative writing, I was told my work needed to be more economical; less of the 'purple prose'. This now makes me think my writing is too pithy. 

But a Google search has happily revealed 5 great books that didn't even crack the 50,000 word mark (60,000 is usually considered the threshold for a novel). Behold:

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

This has made me feel much more relaxed and can start ignoring my word counter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment